Experienced Web Developer
Make Your Mark
We’re a brand and digital communication agency based in Congleton, Cheshire (or Beartown to those in the know!). We’re passionate about results-driven campaigns and work with a wide range of clients from various sectors. We’ve grown organically and steadily over the last few years, which is down to our open and honest approach, the quality of our creative work and the fact that we like to challenge the status quo. In short, we’re a small agency with big ideas.
About the role:
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the team as a Web Developer. We are looking for someone who is seeking to really dive-in and progress their career in this area. Working as one of Thrive’s key players in the development team, you will be responsible for executing both client projects and internal work. You’ll be the physical embodiment of the phrase ‘pixel perfect’ and eat responsive frameworks for breakfast.
You must have at least 2 years’ commercial experience (preferably with an agency background), be passionate, creative, restless and fresh thinking – for you good just isn’t good enough, boundaries must be pushed on every project.
The role involves:
- Developing websites, unsurprisingly! Whether building from scratch or optimising/re-vamping existing client sites. These will vary in scale and complexity.
- Front-end and framework development – taking approved designs, slicing images and transforming them into robust, responsive, valid XHTML and CSS templates.
- Custom development using PHP and MySQL- we’re firmly in the LAMP camp.
- Utilising a number of platforms and content management systems, including WordPress, OpenCart and Magento.
- Working with our team of Designers and fellow Developers to ensure the best user experience for our clients and their customers.
- On-going maintenance and development of existing client websites.
- Web server maintenance.
- Working with the Online Marketing team to implement strategic campaigns.
You will report directly to company Directors and work closely with Account Managers but be expected to liaise with clients directly and be involved at every level of the business.
Essential skills and personal qualities:
- A “sociable design and technical geek” – you’ll definitely love all-things-Internet and know your way around the web. You’ll keep up-to-date on your interests through blogs, forums, social media and other Internet communities.
- Have an impressive skill set when it comes to web development. Things you’ll need to know to an excellent standard include:
- How to build web standard compliant HTML/CSS templates from custom designed PSD files.
- Ability to build Responsive sites using a framework or from scratch – essential.
- Open Source technologies, in particular WordPress and knowledge of other platforms would be very advantageous.
- LAMP configuration.
- An excellent working knowledge of design packages such as Photoshop – essential.
- Appreciation and detailed understanding of usability and its importance in effective web based apps and sites.
- Have an appreciation and understanding of search engine optimisation (SEO) and how to apply best practices to your development work.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Excellent attention to detail – this is essential! We expect our sites to look and function well on all browsers.
- Ability to prioritise key tasks, as well as the flexibility to adapt to changing demands in a fast moving and complex business environment.
- Ability to work on multiple projects as required.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to liaise with external partners/suppliers, as well as staff/internally as required.
- Excellent written and verbal English.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work alone without supervision, or as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of SEO.
In return we are offering a healthy salary depending on experience; a friendly work environment and 28 days holiday per year plus Bank Hols, plenty of tea, coffee and fresh fruit.